Run. Mix. Burn!

Thursday 15 October 2009

Report: Borneo International Marathon 2009

By Aiman Cheah Tiong Chap

Venue: Likas Stadium
Date: 11October 2009
Time : 6.00am
Distance: 10km

This is my first race outside Peninsular Malaysia. It should have been the second if my plan for the Press Run in Kuching had materialised last year. Anyway, I hope it won't be the last. I am still looking forward for Gold Coast Airport Marathon. But then, I not really looking forward for a run, more on the walk. Hopefully, the organizer will change back the 5km walk this year to their usual 7.5km walk.

My college room mate had done a marvellous job, making my trip to Kota Kinabalu an memorable one. He helped to book the hostel and fetched my family from the airport and lastly, took us for a spin on Sunday before we flew back to "Malaya".

The 10km race started on time at 6.00 a.m. I had hoped to do around 50 minutes but that was a tall order. Only ran 8km on Sunday, 4 Oct. Swam 2000m on Wednesday and 2250m on Thursday. Planned to run 10km on Friday but wife had fever and sore throat due to dust allergy - there was renovation work at her work place.

I did not really feel tired, but a bit of breathless because of wind on my upper abdomen. Could be due to the chicken rice which I took for dinner. Vineger was used for the chilly sauce. Started with a steady pace but stopped only after 11 minutes and I actually stopped at an interval of every 2-3 minutes until the end of the race. Reached the 5km mark (I guess) when we made the U-turn. I clocked 27 minutes plus. So, I was quite confident to complete the run within an hour. I crossed the finishing line in 56 mins 46 secs. My position was 54. Unbelievable. In KL, with that kind of time, it would be outside 200.

My daughter and son took part in the fun run. Being the youngest, my son naturally finished last. My daughter being among the eldest should have the upperhand. However, family bond is stronger than the position. She waited for her brother before running back to the finshing line. All participants were given BIM Badge and treated to bananas and watermelon. They were also given RM10 mothercare voucher (forgot to give to me friend before I return to KL)

I must say that I like the race and would probably come back again in future.

Official result is here - Haris

Labels: ,

0 Comments:
Did You Enjoy this Post? Subscribe to Run.Mix.Burn!



Post a Comment

<< Home