Run. Mix. Burn!

Monday 26 September 2011

Report: Starwalk Penang 2011

Date: 18 September 2011 | Sunday | 7:15am
Venue: Penang Times Square
Distance: 6km (non-competition)

My company sponsored 4 unit of motorcycles as grand prize for lucky draw, in return they gave free slot for staffs who interested. I registered under 10km walk competition category others non-competition. With 10 participants plus a few more as booth assistants, we stay at Sunway Hotel. Only 100m to starting line - Time Square, Penang.

Earlier night in hotel room, i realized they pick-up only t'shirt and register coupon - no bib# for me. Calling and trying to get bib#.. no help. Then I tepuk dahi... Danny my running friend at Bandar Laguna Merbok texted me and offered his bib# 2 days ago but I declined.

So @6:30am, I was watching the flag-off of competition category from my hotel room :(

I changed to non-competition and took a wrist-band at registration counter. I met some SP runners friends whom I not seen for long time. Then I meet-up with my secondary school friend, ex-company old friend and regular running friends. Yeah! I thinks not bad taking non-competition category...

I was standing in middle of the crowd. Nearly 20,000 participants. The largest ever participants in Starwalk. Can not do race walk. Just small step of walking and sembang2.

Seem I'm in non-competition... I was thinking about running.

I ran until Padang Kota Lama (Esplanade) then got passport stamped. Previously Starwalk start/finish at PISA, Bayan Baru. To celebrate Penang city in UNESCO's World Heritage list, TheStar bring back the start-up location to Georgetown.

For 6km non-competition, we required to walk passing at least 19 heritage building in Georgetown and get 9 stamped on small booklet/passport of each heritage building visited. Some of them including the E&O Hotel, Town Hall, City Hall, Fort Cornwallis, St George's Church, Goddess of Mercy Temple, Sri Mahamariamman Temple and Kapitan Keling Mosque.

I got only 2 chopped. The rest.. I just ran and site seeing. Ran in busy road of Penang early morning.. Syiok. Macam raja jalan.



@Finished line, there were free flow of drinks and cereals. My stomach full of milo, 100Plus, Sunquick and Nestle cereals. And to cut short this report I'm not a lucky draw winner...hmmm

..and congrats to Aiman Cheah, the 7th winner in Men Jr. Veteran category. Read his report here.

Some photos from my friend's cam and official result.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:
Did You Enjoy this Post? Subscribe to Run.Mix.Burn!



Post a Comment

<< Home