Run. Mix. Burn!

Tuesday 21 September 2010

Report: Stamford College 60th Anniversary 'Running-For-A-Cause'

By Aiman Cheah

Date: 18 September 2010 (Saturday)
Time: 8.15 a.m.
Venue: Dataran Petaling Jaya
Distance: 7.5km
Category: C Men Veteran (40 years old and above)
Result: no timing - battery went flat half way during the race
Position: 18

Racing after the month of Ramadan is always a challenge. But this year, I am in a better position because there is more time to get back into shape.

Started to do light training by swimming and having a short, very short distance jog with my kids on the second day of Raya. Even less than a kilometre on the beach had left me breathless!

I worked slowly to get to 6 minute per km running pace (8.4km) by Wednesday. That was very encouraging and after fasting on Thursday, I managed to do 6:15 per km pace for race walking for 4.2km.

I was quite confident of doing around 45min for this 7.5km run. I started off quite 'fast' as there were not too many participants - a smooth run. Unfortunately, I ran out of steam after about 14 minutes. That was after passing SMK La Salle, PJ. I started to walk and that was the end of my challenge. I kept stopping for a couple of times but managed to 'protect' my position.

About a km before finishing, Mr Jega (PACM ex-exco) overtook me. I tried to keep pace with him. It was a futile effort although I managed to get close to him, with the same frequency, I had the advantage of better stride. My heart could not keep up with the pace - stop to recover. However, I did manage to sprint towards to last 50 metres as if I had had a great race...

Not too bad to get 18th placing. I had wanted to take part in the open category because of the longer distance... but thinking about the short time to get myself back into shape after a whole month of resting and the possibility of challenging for the last medal - 20th position, I decided to go for the veteran category.

This race is also part of my fitness training for tomorrow's Chinwoo 1Malaysia Walk. I guess I should be fit enough to at least challenge for the 20th position, the last position for medal. Even if I were to miss it, being able to do close to 6 mins per km would be an achievement!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:
Did You Enjoy this Post? Subscribe to Run.Mix.Burn!



  • well-done Aiman.... happy to meet u at the event in the morning and later in the afternoon at the MAAU 2nd Grand Prix at Stadium MSN, Bkt Jalil.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:34 am  

  • Thanks Mr. Anynomous. Congratulations to you for leaving me biting the dust. I'm still way off your level of performance. Perhaps, with more regular training, we can make the cock crows louder. Selamat Hari Raya Aidil Fitri and Maaf Zahir dan Batin. See you in future meets.

    By Anonymous Aiman, at 2:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home