Run. Mix. Burn!

Tuesday 29 July 2008

Report: TESCO walk for life

By Aiman Cheah Tiong Chap

Date: 27 July 2008
Venue: Taman Tasik Titiwangsa, Tapak A
Time: 8.00 a.m.
Distance: 4.3km

This is a charity walk - proceeds from the entry fee/donation will go to MAKNA. It is not a competition walk hence the tagline - get healthy, get active, get involved!

I was still not feeling fresh when I was awoke at a quarter to 6. Quickly prepared 'breakfast' as I have to rush back and go to National Union Teaching Profession office in Jalan Ipoh at 10 am. I got ready by quarter past 7. By the time I reached Tasik Titiwangsa, the entrance was already blocked! What to do? Had to do illegal parking on the pavement in front of a school opposite the entrance to Tasik Titiwangsa. Reached the reporting 'station' at a quarter to eight. The enclosure was already full with participants and I was far, far away from the starting line. Probably more than 50 rows behind!

Shahlin Zulkifli was at the starting line, but I could not see her face. Too far away! It was announced that the first 10 participants to arrive would get a special gift but it was not a competition. Well, whether competition or not, I would go all out. It would be a good exercise. Need not worry about others because it has been stated in the newspaper that participants could walk, jog or run. Still, I chose to walk.

The flag off was at 8 am. It took a while for me to be able to move. By the time, I could walk as in a competition, I guessed I was aready more than half a kilometre behind the leaders.

I saw Harun Tee was among the leaders but soon he gave up half way because he said many people were running. It was okay for them to run because it had been stated that participants can run!

I overtook Mr Lee, who finished ahead of me in Grace Community Funwalk yesterday. I went quite fast as I no longer felt the discomfor on my right leg. Hamstrings also felt fine. Completed the walk in 25mins 05secs. That was still a sub 6 mins per km if the distance was correct.

Quickly collected my goodie bag after the race. There were 2 cans of Malta Quench, a can of Tesco Isoplus, a can of Justea, a packet (400gm) of Tesco ChocoMalt and a packet (80gm) of Tesco Potato Chips. Again, I find I gained more than what I had donated - RM10. Also get a t-shirt for the walk and a certificate of participation.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:
Did You Enjoy this Post? Subscribe to Run.Mix.Burn!



Post a Comment

<< Home