Run. Mix. Burn!

Wednesday 22 September 2010

Report: 1Malaysia ChinWoo Walk

Date: 19 September 2010 (Sunday)
Time: 7.30 a.m.
Venue: ChinWoo Athletic Association Selangor and Kuala Lumpur
Distance: 5km
Category: D Men Open (19-45 years old)
Result: 31 mins 50 secs
Position: 4

Yesterday's race had certainly played a part in my fitness level. I was only hoping to be in the top 20 - at least to get a medal. Getting a trophy is a bonus - thanks to some disqualifications. I know it is always tough in a race walking event.

The race started almost 45 minutes later than scheduled. It was a formal event with speeches by VIP prior to the start.

I witnessed an ugly start. One participant just pushed through when the horn was sounded. The 'lady' in front of me responded with an elbow. Luckily, the incident did not turned too ugly as the guy was rushing to keep pace with the leaders.

This reminds me of the Genting Trailblazer last year - very sporting participants. Not only will they give way to faster runner but also be assisting you when going up. I have never experienced such sportsmanship in other events.

I had quite a good start as I managed to inch my way to the sixth row on the 'grid'. Although the road was narrow, the space was enough for me to march forward without having to shove other participants (any way, I have never done that in any of the races in the past and would not be doing it in future simply because I will never win! )

I managed to hold onto my position after about 5 minutes of the start. I was trying to pace with Wai Mun (Women Open Champion). I always admire her, despite her petite size she has such high frequency and long strides.

I managed to close the gap to about 30 metres after coming down the pedestrian bridge but I had made a grave mistake. I was left breathless for quite some time and that affected my rhythm. Soon, she pulled away and I lost sight of her. It was a struggle after that and I just to maintain my position.

I did have a strong finish. Going uphill is no joke when one is almost a spent force. Glad that I made it and I was told that I was 5th. That was certainly great! It would be a trophy. Better than what I had aimed for earlier. The time was not too bad either - just about 25 secs off the pace for each kilometere.

I thought I was disqualified or there was some mistake when the fifth winner was not me. Pleasantly surprised to be 4th!

Hope to accomplished failed missions during the 24th Malaysian Masters 5,000 m walk and today's walk of doing 6 mins per km in next week JDP Walk. I hope to maintain my fitness which is a challenging thing to do during school days.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:
Did You Enjoy this Post? Subscribe to Run.Mix.Burn!



  • Congratulation Bro... I always believe you could do better in walking events...really admire your courage... hehee... Tahniah once again!!!

    Zul Galeh @ Imam

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:09 pm  

  • Thanks Zul. Dah tua, what to do..... Tak larat nak lari dah.... So jalan jer lah..... Wish me luck for coming events. My biggest event is the Asian Masters. Just hope to avoid being overlapped like nobody's business.

    By Anonymous Aiman, at 10:40 pm  

  • InnsyaAllah Bro.. saya pun dah tua jugak... hehee... but we have to keep on moving forward. Just stay fit and healthy... keep on practising and all d best in future events... :)

    Zul Galeh @ Imam

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home