Run. Mix. Burn!

Thursday 27 March 2008

World Kidney Day

By Aiman Cheah Tiong Chap

Date: 25 March 2008
Time: 7.00 a.m. – 1.00 p.m.
Venue: Hospital Serdang

I happily went to Hospital Serdang on 23 March (Sunday) for the walkathon. I was surprised to see the banner stating that the event was to be held on 25th March! My daughter was a bit disappointed because she has brought her colour pencils and crayons for colouring contest.

Just for the fun of it, I asked the nurses at the reception regarding the date. She informed me that the newspapers had printed the date wrongly. Wah, like that also can, ah? Why can the newspapers make correction on the following day? I saw some quiz forms placed at the counter. The closing date was earlier. Anyway, she asked me to answer the questions. I told her that the closing date was over. She said it was okay. So I filled up two forms as my wife was busy handling Akmal. I were given two ‘tak nak’ buttons as a momento.

Thought I could take part in the walkathon but then the last date for registration was on Friday, 21 March! (I guess if I ask, I may be given the green light to join too. Anyway, I thought that would be tricky as I will be traveling from Rawang on Tuesday and have to take my wife and daughter to school and kindy respectively.)

So we headed to Carrefour in Midvalley because the day before I could not get any Frisolac 3. I was surprised that the new packaging RRP was at RM39.40. I used to buy the old packaging at around RM33. Sale price was at RM28.99. I was not sure if there was any limit. I grabbed 6. If the limit is 3, then I’d handle 3 and the balance would go to my wife. Bought some muffins for tea at Duta Palms and Anglers Club, Rawang in the afternoon.

Afiqah was happy at the resort and so was her brother. They enjoyed playing in the water. Unfortunately, in my hurry, I had forgotten to bring their float and ball. Anyway, one boy in the pool was happy to play his ball with Akmal.

I was surprised to receive a call the next day, saying that my wife had won a prize for the quiz. After putting down the phone for a few minutes, my mobile was ringing and was informed that I, too had won a prize. We were invited for the prize giving ceremony. I was told to go to the auditorium at 8.30 a.m. Actually, there was a forum. It was informative because the speakers were kidney patients. Before the forum, the answers for the quiz were discussed. I got one wrong answer. Actually there is 1 out of 10 people who will have some form of kidney problems. My answer was 1 out of 1,000!

Our prizes were ceramic Snoopy mugs with lids and teaspoons. I regretted that I didn’t ask about the walkathon earlier. The participants had nice collared-t-shirts. The first three got hampers, 4-10 some form of presents and all got their certificates and trophies! Never mind a small one. It would be a good remembrance. We were all treated to lunch. However, I had to skip it because I need to fetch my Afiqah. If they had informed me earlier, I could have savoured the dishes.

Oh, for a free event, the walkathon participants were given breakfast after the walkathon. I feel the event should be held on a Sunday if they want more people to participate – no lunch or breakfast pun tak per lah if they need to cut cost. People come here to enjoy themselves and to be enlightened on kidney health. It’s a shame that the auditorium is only half full.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:
Did You Enjoy this Post? Subscribe to Run.Mix.Burn!



Post a Comment

<< Home