Run. Mix. Burn!

Tuesday 6 May 2008

Report: Power 10km Run

By Aiman Cheah Tiong Chap

Date: 27 April 2008
Venue: Dataran Merdeka, Jalan Raja, Kuala Lumpur
Time : 7.30 a.m.

This is the first time I am running in the C category – men Junior Veteran. I only registered for the run on Saturday afternoon, hours before the extended closing date. I was surprised to note that my running number was 2209. Only 209 participants in the C category had registered by 2.30 p.m.!

I woke up at quarter past 5 in the morning. Not that I wanted to wake up early but rather was awaken by Akmal. After feeding, he looked feverish. So I massaged his back for about 15 minutes. When he began to perspire, he looked more comfortable and went back to sleep. By the time I was ready to leave the house, it was already 6.55 a.m. I was in no hurry because I was ill prepared for the race. So took my time to stop at the newspaper stall to buy the newspaper before continuing the journey to Dataran Merdeka. I reached the venue at around quarter past 7. Still more than enough time for warming up. Did some stretching before going to the ‘enclosure’.

Chatted with Ng Ping Loong and he reminded me not to underestimate his friend – Chat. Told me than one day she would be faster than me. I frankly told him she need not wait for another day because that day was a perfect day to outrun me.

When the gun was fired, I started from the back – a sign that I would not be competitive. My initial target was just to complete the race in 70 minutes. A fair time for jogging and walking. I had to really focus to go slow. It is already a habit to go at a faster pace because it has been programmed in the body for the past 20 years. It was slow but I find that the quality of the runners was below par.

Normally, the runners would be much faster. Assessing the situation, I thought I might have a chance to get a finisher medal since 100 were offered. I do not see many runners in the C category. I just followed the crowd. From the 10th minute, I began to count how many runners I could overtake in my category. Even at such a slow pace, I could not sustain and my stomach had become uncomfortable. I took a break – began walking on the way to going up the flyover before merging with the 7km runners. I had overtaken 18 runners from my category. I doubted that I could make it to be within the first 100 finishers. I allowed 6 runners to overtake me before I regain my composure and began running slowly.

The pain in my left leg began to bother me. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn’t encounter such problem. I was still on target of finishing the race in 70 minutes and I pushed myself to the limit. When I saw the finishing line, most of the officials were already gone! So they must have had 100 finishers already... Actually there was still one official at the C lane! I got a finishing card from him – 96. My time was 1 hour 7 minutes and 38 seconds! A lucky medal... I am looking forward to be at my best again, never mind without medals. I am keeping my fingers crossed to peak in time for my favourite even – Ipoh Starwalk on 15 May. Hopefully, the weather will be favourable and the UM swimming pool is available.

Now, after more than 24 hours after the event my legs are still sore.

What can I expect? After a long lay off, I normally begin with a 4km walk and gradually move to 6km run within a week before a 10km race. I think the last time I train was in February. The only ‘run’ that I had was last week during the Shoe String Run and that is 3km in 38 minutes! Lately, not only that I don’t have time to train, I had very little rest as I was struggling with my exams and assignment. I only can and hopefully can have a good rest after turning in my last assignment before the weekend.


Did You Enjoy this Post? Subscribe to Run.Mix.Burn!

Post a Comment

<< Home