Run. Mix. Burn!

Tuesday 17 June 2008

Adventure Charity Run for ROLF Report - Blue Ribbon Campaign

By Aiman Cheah Tiong Chap

Date: 14 June 2008 (Saturday)
Time: 6.00 a.m.
Venue: INTI International University College (Nilai Campus)

This is another event where I don't put high hopes on finishing in a good position but rather giving a good performance. I started from pole, meaning I would be competitive for this event. I only noticed Mr Tee Teck Bee, my FTAAA acquaintance who has been consistently faser than me.

I thought I might have a chance to finish on the podium. After flagged off, I found myself in 5th position. The walkers were more than 300 meters ahead within half a minute! Mr Tee was hot on my heels. It was amazing to see their blistering speed. Some might claimed that they walked so fast that it looked like running which I had to agree.

If there were MAAU selection officials were there, they would make no mistake in picking them to represent Malaysia and I bet they would have won the gold medal easily at Asian Games level. I doubt if Mr Teoh Boon Lim, Mr Khoo Chong Beng or Mr V. Subramanian (when both the latter were on their heyday) could even challenge the fastest walker in the event.

Anyway, once Mr Tee caught up with me, I encouraged him to go faster as he had the pace to match the others. I managed to overtake one walker only. I thought I could make some grounds as the race progressed. How wrong was I, they were very strong walkers. I ended the race with 5th position. I guessed the 4th winner was more than 500 metres ahead as I could not see him.

A China Daily journalist interviewed me regarding the event. She spoke in Mandarin and I told her I don't speak Mandarin. So we converse in English and finally she requested me to speak in Bahasa Melayu. I guess that is the whole idea of making Bahasa Melayu as the national language.

I had a pleasant surprise when a sweet girl approached me asking if I am still teaching in SMK Taman Desa. She was my former Form 2 student. I could not recall her name. Her voice is familiar but her look has changed - prettier. Surely I remember who she was when she told me her name. An avid reader who read an average of 5 books a week!

I hope to give another good performance tomorrow in one of my favourite events - Ipoh Starwalk. Judging from today's 'warm up session' I should be able to be competitive.

Labels:

0 Comments:
Did You Enjoy this Post? Subscribe to Run.Mix.Burn!



Post a Comment

<< Home