Run. Mix. Burn!

Tuesday 12 August 2008

Report: EasyThon

By Aiman Cheah Tiong Chap

Date: 8th August 2008 (Friday)
Time: 8.08 a.m.
Organizer: Easy Pha-max
Venue: Easy Pha-max Marketing Snd Bhd,
No. 60, Jalan Puteri 2/2, Bandar Puteri,
47100 Puchong, Selangor

I came to know about the event in the Star on Tuesday (Lifestyle, page 12). I did not alert my host, Mr Haris about the event because my computer had problem - only to know that actually the modem was the culprit after a Streamyx technician came to check on Friday afternoon. That means three days without internet!

I registered for the race on Wednesday and there were only two categories -men and women. 1-3 prizes and 20 special prizes. I thought I would get at least a special prize because it was held on Friday. Everyone would be working!

After the Rimbathon on Sunday, I did not have any training on Monday and Tuesday because of time. Wednesday was a 1.75km swim at the UM pool. Thursday was off because it was raining the whole afternoon! I had intended to swim again - at a faster pace to help in my stamina.

On race day, I was a little late after the usual morning chores. I left the house at 7.35 a.m. I was lucky because the traffic lights were always green when I reached them. So, I managed to reached at the venue five minutes before eight. I found out that I need not report for the race. I had a light jog to warm up my cold body. After I stopped after feeling a little bit warm -but still not to the point of sweating.

I saw Richard Habeya and another runner from the African continent. Surely, the top two placings would go to them.

I was quite surprised because the race was flagged off by the Health Minister, Datuk Liow Tiong Lai. Ummm the race did not start at 8.08 a.m as scheduled because the Health Minister gave his speech at 8.12 a.m.

I started at the back as I did not think I would have a chance to be among the top three. Surprisingly, Richard Habeya started further back. Perhaps, he had known that the other runner was better than him and the rest were 'vegetables' for him. He passed me after 1mins 40secs. I have always admired his pace. He was out of my sight within a minute! I was running behind Eng Siok Jiun then. She was too fast for me too. As usual, being indisciplined in running, I had a stop after 5 minutes.

Then 6 minutes. Again at the 8th minute. Number eight was certainly not too lucky for me although my body managed to adjust to my pace. I could hold the steady pace, overtaking a few runners. Ran out of steam again when I overtook the lady who finished third. That was at the 16th minute. For a 4.2km race, I should compete it within 24 minutes. So I gave a final push but found that it was already near the starting point.

I managed to overtake the lady again - she had easily overtaken me when I had my stop then. I also managed to overtake three runners about 20 metres before the finishing line. However, I did not not my exact finishing position. A special prize indicated that it would be between 4th and 23rd. My time of 20 minutes and 12 seconds was considered very good as my preparation suggested. The consolation is that at least I did manage to be faster than the 3rd finisher of the women's category.

For the registration fee of RM20, I got a t-shirt for the event, Reader's Diegest - August, 2 pieces of accessories for handphones (sort of key chain?), a bottle of wheatcare body shampoo worth RM25.80 and a bottle of wheatcare hair shampoo worth RM25.80. So, this is a charity race for me...... The first prize lagi syiok.... a bicycle and a set of stainless steel cookware set plus 'gold' medal.

My last run before the fasting month should be Shape and Men's Health Run (it will most probably be run walk run race for me). I think, I have been dominating my host's blogspot for some time now and should take a break.

Thanks, Haris for allowing me to use your blog - to share my experiences with fellow runners and to encourage those who are just taking up running. One can still participate in running event and enjoy oneself although at times one may not be really fit simply because walking is not an infringement in running. Likewise, one can walk slower in a walking event to take a breather as long as there is no 'floating' and 'knee bending'.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:
Did You Enjoy this Post? Subscribe to Run.Mix.Burn!



  • Heheheee.. About event alert..
    it's okay. Just a small event on weekdays.

    Aku pon dah slow. Cuma light jog.. control perut.

    Thanks to you too for runnning reports. Else sunyi sepi blog ni.

    By Blogger aharis, at 8:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home